Jake’s Del Mar
Also known as the Stratford Inn Garage, built circa 1910.
Constructed in 1910, the building that is home to Jake’s Del Mar was originally built as the hotel garage for the elegant Stratford Inn and it’s later incarnation, the Hotel Del Mar. These hotels hosted the Hollywood and racetrack crowd in the 1920s, 30s and 40s. Since functioning as the hotel garage, the building has served a variety of uses over the years including the Sheriff Deputy’s headquarters, barracks for the Coast Guard during World War II, an artist’s studio and gallery, and the original home to a local start-up company, KayPro, who was credited with developing one of the first home computers. In the late 1970s, the building was dismantled and some of its parts salvaged. The original rough-hewn roof trusses were repositioned sideways and It became the new Stratford Inn Restaurant. It was sold in 1981 to T S Restaurants who branded Jake’s Del Mar. The original rough-hewn roof trusses of the old Stratford Garage are still visible today. For more information on the current Jake’s Del Mar and to make reservations visit www.jakesdelmar.com.
Sources: Jessica Mills, at Cenci Ventures